a little problem with single player stranded.

squartron

Hey
So I've encountered a little problem that breaks the game (at least just the single player version). At the start, everything seems fine; I can mine rocks, access vorty's shop, and swing my rod at things. However, when I press q, the inventory just freezes and stays on the screen. No matter how many times I push q it stays. It's also blank, so I can't chose anything. I can still play the game, just can't use my menu and make things, which is the most vital part of the game.
It also makes a lua error. which is this:

[ERROR] attempt to compare string with number
1. sort - [C]:-1
2. SortedPairs - lua/includes/extensions/table.lua:510
3. DrawResourcesNew - gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/modules/client/cl_newqmenu.lua:748
4. DrawFrame - gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/modules/client/cl_newqmenu.lua:795
5. Init - gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/modules/client/cl_newqmenu.lua:691
6. Create - lua/includes/extensions/client/panel/scriptedpanels.lua:37
7. DrawFrame - gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/modules/client/cl_newqmenu.lua:299
8. Init - gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/modules/client/cl_newqmenu.lua:121
9. Create - lua/includes/extensions/client/panel/scriptedpanels.lua:37
10. ShowMenu - gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/modules/client/cl_newqmenu.lua:75
11. Call - gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/cl_init.lua:1513
12. unknown - gamemodes/base/gamemode/cl_spawnmenu.lua:56
13. unknown - lua/includes/modules/concommand.lua:54

[ERROR] gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/modules/client/cl_newqmenu.lua:104: attempt to index field 'dropPanel' (a nil value)
1. HideMenu - gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/modules/client/cl_newqmenu.lua:104
2. Call - gamemodes/gmstranded/gamemode/cl_init.lua:1533
3. unknown - gamemodes/base/gamemode/cl_spawnmenu.lua:57
4. unknown - lua/includes/modules/concommand.lua:54

the screenshot of the bug: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1394308201

I think this all began when I joined another "g4p" stranded server, and it might have jumbled the code for the default stranded. Specifically, I believe it's the new icons/sprites in the server that replaced the purple checkers in the vorty shop and alch stone (most of them where made by me :D) . But even that makes no sense, for when I access the shop, it's just those checkers, nothing game breaking. Not to mention that the purple checker icons are pretty much completely disconnected from the q menu itself. It really does suck. For if I wanted to test some changes, I can't, because Gmod is a dick -_-. I would like to at least know what's going on here, and if there's anything that can be done about it.

Thanks!
Squartron

squartron

I've disabled all the addons I have except for the g4p ones, and it still happens. Not sure how to run a clean version on Gmod besides getting rid of everything.

mrpresident

Administrator
Administrator
That's exactly how you do it. Try getting rid of everything.

Remove all your addons and unsubscribe/disable all your workshop addons.

You could rename your gmod folder and then download a new copy if you don't want to mess with your gmod installation.. but like I've said, it works perfectly fine for me on a clean install of gmod, so the problem is with something in your gmod install, and I can't help you with that, unfortunately.

squartron

Okay, Gmod is a real dick sometimes :/
so I hopelessly started up singlerplayer stranded and looked at the bugged inventory, then I hit tab. Then I noticed something, when I moved my free mouse onto the tabs, I could click the things, like choose a rod or click items in my inventory. So I realized that it might not be totally unplayable, just that there a big gray screen in the way. I farted around, playing with commands and fighting a boss. Then there was some annoying bug that I knew personally and fixed it by restarting the game. When I went back to the game, the bug was just...

*P O O F*

Everything was back to normal, I could open and close the inventory like normal, and that was that. I was a little stumped but relived. My theory of what happened is that the game for some reason got locked up with the inventory and wouldn't go away until I clicked on one of the things, and then restarting it would refresh it. I'm not sure how long this will last or if I just got lucky, for I'm not sure if this is repeatable. Hopefully I'll know what to do next time.

mrpresident

Administrator
Administrator
Interesting.. Yeah, if you reproduce it let me know how. Also, when you play, don't play "Single Player" play a listen server with at least 2 players. The gamemode will be happier.