By Design Complete power outage causes inventory whipe

In-Game Name: Alfurius
SteamID: (see profile)
Bug Description (Be as thorough as possible): We're having a bit of a snow storm in the NW here, and our power unexpectedly went out, shutting down everything while I was on the server around 12:30pm pst. at roughly 2pm I was able to reconnect and found that all of my inventory and a few tools were missing (including but not limited to a "void hoe"). A player recalls the server disconnecting me due to the internet connection being extinguished, but I did not die while online.

Are you able to replicate it?: yes

How could I replicate the bug?: While logged into the server and playing outside of !afk mode, turn off your main source of power that feeds your internet connection and computer then wait 30 minutes to connect the power and reconnect. You may find an empty backpack and missing tools.

That sounds exactly like you died. Let me check the logs.

10:13:41 Alfurius Monk suicided!
10:13:41 ****SGS**** Alfurius Monk died of asphyxiation.
10:13:59 Dropped "Alfurius Monk" from server<STEAM_0:0:42041396>
12:45:20 Client "Alfurius Monk" connected.

You died under water..

3 minutes later...

10:16:59 **gms_tool was deleted for being unowned for 3 minutes!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 11x of antlion_meat was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of burned_meat was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 5x of lum_seed was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 2x of cooked_salmon was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 15x of imbued_flask was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of large_aid_pack was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of stone was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of burned_fish was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of sand was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of lobster was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of liferoot was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of red_apple was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of cosmic_stone was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 2x of shark was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 3x of coal was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 13x of guacca_seed was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 15x of liechi_seed was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 2x of moly_seed was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 2x of liferoot_seed was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 3x of perriot_seed was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 5x of cloth was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 118x of pet_food was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of red_pet_egg was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 1x of karopa_seed was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 4x of cooked_trout was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 35x of antlion_head was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 4x of pallie_seed was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 3x of cooked_herring was removed for being under water!
10:16:59 ** The resource box containing 5x of antlion_leg was removed for being under water!

I'm not saying that I didn't die, but It happened out of my power. I had no control over the situation. I was still connected to the server, even though on my end of the connection, I was without power.

I'm also saying that when this happens, the server doesn't properly disconnect a player when they lose connection this way. if you lose connection while you are holding the W key for instance, it will continue to walk your ghostly ass into a body of water and drown you while you're not actually playing. It's weird how something that can't be reproduced happens most near every time a power outage happens like this.

It can be reproduced quite easily.
Just force-shutdown gmod through task manager or pull out your ethernet cable/disable WiFi while connected to the server.

This isn't a gamemode issue though. It's how the GAME.. (Garrysmod) handles this kind of disconnect.

I have no way of detecting that you've lost power or that you've disconnected on your end until your client times out on the server and forces a disconnect.

Maybe the status of "Not Reproducible" wasn't appropriate.

I guess I should have set it to "Not a Bug" or "Can't/Won't Fix"?

The point is, it's not a bug in the gamemode or anything I have control over. As far as the server is concerned you are still connected until you aren't. This is just how source handles client connections.

Most games handle disconnection the same way. "Oh look someone's power went out, better disconnect them".

No, it's more like "Oh look someone's power went out, better make sure that actually happened before I disconnect them"

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon